I am on page 168 of my revision. I’m running about five pages ahead of my first draft at this point in the story.
It also means that I am about to reach the climax. The image above is Freytag’s classic pyramid. I remember learning this in English class in high school. Freytag came up with this after studying ancient Greek dramas and Shakespeare.
Plotting has never really been my strong suit when it comes to writing. I think for a long time I thought it was the list of events that occurred in the story and not really a moving forward of the plot. If I was more of a plotter, then I think endings would’ve come easier to me.
The further into this rewrite I get, the more analyzing I am doing. I’ve been trying to think of what is the climax of this story; or, which climax is The Climax.
- The payoff on the ‘Alexandra is an impulsive tomboy’ arc
- The ‘we have different mothers?’ storyline
- Either the formation of or the breakup of Miles’ ill-advised affair
- The village racist learns about the affair and uses it against Miles
- Miles meets with his irascible father